|The Way They Were|
|Written By||Matthew Negrete & Nahnatchka Khan|
|Directed By||Brad Goodchild|
|Original Airdate||February 27, 2000|
|Previous||"Jaybirds of a Feather"|
|Next||"The One with Mr. Reason"|
The episode begins with Milo in science class with several dead plants. Milo thinks that Pepper Ann was supposed to water the plants, making the whole class laugh.
Then Nicky painted orange and Milo in a chicken costume were standing next to the otter statue, and Principal Hickey angrily yells at them for ruining the stock's fundraiser. Then at Greasy N' Cheesy, Pepper Ann gets into an arguement with Nicky and Milo, causing them to break up.
At home, Pepper Ann and her mom talk about how long since Nicky and Milo were best friends with Pepper Ann since kindergarten. Then the scenes shows flashbacks of when Pepper Ann and her mom (while she was pregnant with Moose) are moving to Hazelnut, and Pepper Ann wasn't happy about it. She claims that Boutag and the Bezeez aren't some stage show, but are her family.
Pink-Eye Pete: It's not germs! The doctor said it's a temporary bacterial infection. It'll be gone in two weeks, tops!
The Desk Gag Edit
- Being that Pepper Ann premiered in and takes place mostly in 1997, the flashbacks in this episode would have happened sometime around 1990.
- The title of this episode is a twist on the title of the 1973 film "The Way We Were".
- Kathleen Wilhoite as Pepper Ann Pearson
- Jeff Bennett as Dieter Liederhosen, Craig Bean, Shelf McClain, Additional Voices
- Danny Cooksey as Milo Kamalani
- Clea Lewis as Nicky Little
- April Winchell as Mom, Ms. Abriola Stark
- Kath Soucie as Cissy Rooney, Muffy Appleseed, Mrs. Little, Additional Voices
- Susan Tolsky as Aunt Janie
- Tino Insana as Uncle JoJo
- Jenna Von Oy as Trinket St. Blaire
- Cree Summer-Francks as Tessa and Vanessa James
- Don Adams as Principal Hickey
- Candi Milo as Constance Goldman
- Glenne Headley as Becky Little
- Jim Cummings as Mr. Little