|Crush and Burn|
|Written By||Mirith JS Colao|
|Directed By||Sherie Pollack|
|Original Airdate||November 15, 1997|
Gwen Mezzrow passes a love note to Milo, who is repulsed because he thinks she's a freak. He asks Pepper Ann to cover for him, and she comes up with a genius idea - tell everyone that she and Milo are a couple.
One lie leads to another, which leads to another...until the whole thing spirals out of control and the line between fantasy and reality starts to blur as everyone struggles to keep the stories straight.
Milo: I feel naked.
Nicky: Twinkle, twinkle little star, when will Pepper Ann stop these lies?!
Pepper Ann: Deception has become reality! The truth is a lie, and all the lies are true!
Milo: Is JoJo Diggety really a woman?
Tessa and Vanessa: We aren't really celebrities, even though we should be.
Dieter (to Gwen): Whoa, step back Chi-Chi Labumba! This zeppelin floats alone!
Ned: Stop that cheese!
Cissy: I'm not really a dumb blonde. I just perpetuate the image in order to be less intimidating to others.
- Being that this episode marks Gwen's first appearance, it's also the beginning of Milo and Gwen's on-again off-again relationship.
- We first find out about Gwen's crush on Dieter in this episode.
- This is the first episode in which Ned appears as Pepper Ann's cousin. He can be seen walking by in the background saying, "I shop at Abe's Mall!" in "Ziterella" and he appears in "Megablades of Grass", but there's never any mention of him being related to Pepper Ann.
The Desk Gag Edit
"Alright, Mardi Gras beads!"
- The title of this episode is a twist on the title of the 1990 film Crash and Burn.
- Kathleen Wilhoite as Pepper Ann Pearson
- Jeff Bennett as Ned Diggety
- Danny Cooksey as Milo Kamalani
- Clea Lewis as Nicky Little
- April Winchell as Mom, Nun, Additional Voices
- Kath Soucie as Cissy Rooney, Additional Voices
- Jenna Von Oy as Trinket St. Blaire
- Cree Summer-Francks as Tessa and Vanessa James, Additional Voices
- Kimmy Robertson as Gwen Mezzrow
- Susan Tolsky as Aunt Janie